Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Optimum population density for newly hatched axolotls?

DeCypher

Reaction score
My axolotls have finally spawned! I have multiple 10g glass tanks to rear the larvae in. My question is, since overpopulation is one of the most common causes of dying off, what would be the optimum amount of newly hatched axolotls per 10g tank?
Until they hatch I will keep all the eggs in one 10g tank with an airstone and the plants they are attached to for optimum conditions.
Thank you!!

Krispy

Reaction score
Make sure you add some sort of plants (fake is probably best because you will be doing lots of cleaning) for the larvae to hide in, that will help prevent too many from dying off from cannibalism.

If you're really trying to be careful, 20-30 per tank should be okay? 40 should be fine, too. Larvae mostly rest on the bottom when they are very young. Of course you will still have die-offs from defects and such, so those numbers will still thin out as they grow.

Viking

Reaction score
How many are you trying to raise? You would be better to sell some of the eggs. The first couple keep the water more shallow (4-6 inches) so they swim for air. You gradually fill tank deeper.

Last year I used only Daphnia and feed constantly. Daphnia will help clean the water and don't die. They swim and reproduce until eaten.

If you are using Baby brine shrimp, you want the bellies full but few left over. I found when they are in a food stupor they don'y attack each other. Each day they will eat more.

40 in a ten gallon till front legs grow and then 20 per 10 gal. They can grew very quickly. I have 2 weeks old that are about 1 inch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!