Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My fire salamander wont eat

joshrose123

Reaction score
Hello, I have recently purchased a 12-month-old, female, fire salamander and she hasn't eaten now in around 5 days. I ensure if I am just overreacting or I need to change something up. Her temperature is always between 60-70 degrees (Fahrenheit), which is green on my thermometer, and she is sprayed daily. The tank is a 10-gallon tank with space for her to hide and dig.

I am currently feeding her medium brown crickets. I am trying every day but she rarely takes them and even when she does take them she will only ever eat 1 at a time.

Any advice? Thank you all.

MisterWayne

Reaction score
I have two groups of two Salamandra. I normally put 8 crickets in at a time with a piece of carrot and just leave them for 3 days in each enclosure. If the crickets get hungry they can eat the carrot and will leave the salamanders alone. Sometime they eat all 8 crickets within 12 hours, sometimes I have to remove the crickets and dust them again after 3/4 days. As long as your temps are good, substrate isn't too wet maybe try this approach?

I also have read sometimes they can be picky eaters. Maybe try feeding earthworms and see if you get a better feeding response?

It can be super stressful I have had my ups and downs too. I hope this helps.

joshrose123

Reaction score
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. I will try changing the food around and ensure the substrate isn't too wet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!