Question: Axolotl feeding suggestions?

AxieT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
I'm planning on getting a new axolotl, and I'm very excited. I have a great tank set up and its been circulating for a couple of weeks. I have pellet food for it, but I really want to vary my axolotl's diet. Does anyone of the forum have any suggestions on not only widen his/her diet, but also make it more "exciting" (Example: pinky-mice or certain fishes)?

thank you! this helped a lot.

And a hint: Experiment, often and thoroughly! My lot won't eat certain worms, but LOVE other types (Of course, they chose to discover this JUST as all the earthworms went "Seeya in spring, we're outta this icebox!") and again won't touch THOSE at other times...
Also, I've personally had absolutely no luck with pellets, frozen brine shrimp or frozen daphnia, but great success with bloodworm and beef heart. Hopefully your axie will give you pointers, and enjoy your new friend!

You can use pinkie mice and waxworms in moderation. Both have a lot of calories in a small package, so don't feed too many.

I actually have a worm farm just for feeding my axies! The kids think it's great, they eat all our veggie scraps and give us fertilizer and I can pick out the right size worms as Sanchez seems to do a choking type thing with bigger ones and spits them back out. It cost a bit to get it going but totally worth it! I also give them blood worms now and then (if nobody will get worms out for me, I hate touching them) and I 'had' 5 rosy barbs in the tank with them, I've just noticed the last one isn't there!
Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back