Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Snapping axie.

jhonny

Reaction score
Hello.

i've had my axies for about a week now, and everything seems to be O.K...
though when feeding them, it seems they have more taste for my fingers, then for the worms i'm feeding them. i aint scared, but their flashing way of moving startles me.. which results in splashing water :p
i think they just want my hands out of their tank.. but i want to hand feed them.

should i insist and keep feeding them like this, and make them get used to it?
( they are both albino.. so i guess my warm hands just scare them, since they cant see them )

wian

Reaction score
i reckon they just think your hand is the food so try sticking more of the worm out and move your hand with the axolotl as it moves

jhonny

Reaction score
will do. thank you very much!

is there any way i can make them get used to my hands?
i saw some people on youtube stroking their axies.. i want to be able to do the same :happy:

wian

Reaction score
i wouldnt do that ive done it a few times but when i take my hands out their full of slime which i take to be their slime and theyll get used to you as you feed them and dont pull your hands all of a sudden out of the tank it causes them to stress

imzunicorn

Reaction score
It will take them some time to get used to you and the way you feed them. Mine would run as soon as they saw my hand and I would have to feed them with chopsticks. Now when they see me above the tank, they'll come up to the surface. Although, this is something I've experienced with all aquatic animals I've had. At first, they wouldn't notice or care about you at the surface, later they will come up as they know it means food.

I honestly only hand feed mine because the worm wiggles out of the chopsticks. What I do is stick a portion of the worm into the water and wave it above their heads. They'll come up and take the little bit that's sticking into the water. I also don't put my hands in the water because it makes the worm hard to hold onto and the snapping startles me too when I'm hand feeding them.

Something you could try is you can take them out of the tank to feed. Take a small container and gently scoop them up. Mine were so used to being fed like this, that they would actually voluntarily go into it when they saw it. I started feeding them like that because I couldn't tell them apart and found that I was feeding one twice and not the other. Once they got older, Stardust got some freckles on his face and Ziggy ended up being more rosy coloured so I could tell them apart.

jhonny

Reaction score
listened to advice given. thank you all for the help.

hand fed them again last night.. its starting to get better.
the snapping instantly stopped as i showed more of the worm :happy:
bravely gathered all my nerves, and made a video of me handfeeding bambam.

it is like many new things, quite the thing to adapt to.
but they are such thankfull creatures ( got a giant heap of fecies ) so i dont mind :p
here is the video by the way if you care..

(sorry for my dad's ridiculous babbling.. i asked him to be quiet.. )
edit: the other noise comes from the cooling fans..
edit again: 1080p for all you HD-lovers :)
Feeding my axolotl Bam-Bam - YouTube

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Wow that looked like a big worm :eek: Mine eats worms HALF the size of that and seems to struggle hahaha

jhonny

Reaction score
you wanna know the best part?! that worm was TWICE the size.
i cut it in half before i fed him/her.
and no training was needed whatsoever. i guess it was already being handfed earthworms at the retailer. :wacko:

i think our axies are capable of doing way more then we know. :eek:

jessicaanne

Reaction score
you wanna know the best part?! that worm was TWICE the size.
i cut it in half before i fed him/her.

Woah, that WAS a big worm then haha. I was squeamish enough feeding mine a little worm but a worm that big, HELL NO :uhoh:

Normally mine comes to the top of the tank for pellets but she was being lazy today when I tried giving her earthworm, so I dropped it and it was so cute watching her creep up on the unusual wriggling object (it's her first day of eating live food) and then sucking it up. It was even cuter watching the worm come back out of her mouth only for it to be sucked back in like spaghetti :grin:

jhonny

Reaction score
aww you shouldnt be to earie..
t'was a big worm, aso i kepped my eye on him.. he fought for at least 3 minutes. then i took the worm away again cause it just wasnt happening.
try and error i guess.:happy:
anyway its not like they need their mouth to breath, so they cant sufficate. and the worm cant do any actual damage to your axie..

its so cute to see em gobble up a worm. especially if they want to struggle! :p
last worm i gave tried to wiggle himself round bambam's head.. but he wouldnt have that.
gave him a good shuckle and sucked him in.. the sucker! :p

imzunicorn

Reaction score
That really was a big worm. That seems to be something I noticed too, if you feed them too much, they spit it out and try again. That happened when I would feed them bloodworms, there's just so many in those cubes.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
What a lovely golden Axie :) I hope my tiny golden babies sparkle like that when they grow up.

jhonny

Reaction score
i'm not quite sure if they are 100% albino though.. they have white marks all over.
or i am lucky, and they are GFP?! :eek:

imzunicorn

Reaction score
You can tell when they're gfp, they have a green tint to them. Especially when you see them under sunlight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1