Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl feeding

Maeganbolton

Reaction score
Hi, so I got 3 3in axolotl yesterday. I tried carnivore pellets and shrimp pellets. They ate a couple of carnivore pellets with the exception of my mel who wasn't having it. I was going to run out and grab some earthworms this morning but my local pet shop doesn't carry them. However, my sporting shop does. I was wondering if bait earthworms were safe for feeding or if they ran the risk of carry parasites. Sorry, I know this is the wrong place for this post but couldn't figure out how to post to the axolotl forum.

Ekmanor

Reaction score
Hi! Welcome to the forum!

I feed my axolotls chopped Canadian Nightcrawlers from Walmart, either that or I go out and literally dig up my own from a pesticide/herbicide free area near my home. Red wigglers can work just as well, however they emit a fowl tasting goo when cut that some caudates don’t like. Make sure you feed a variety of different foods over time, IMO that is a good way to make sure they have a balanced diet. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!