Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is AquaIron sand safe?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I have about half a bag of the Oliver Knott Aquairon sand from my planted tank. It's super finely grained so I was thinking of using it in my currently barebottom axolotl tank. I'm just hesitant since it is iron rich and I'm not sure how safe this might be for my axolotls? It says it doesn't affect composition at all and is safe for all aquatics but I want to be sure.
I'll link to the site I got it from as it has all the info
https://www.thetechden.com.au/AquaIron_by_Oliver_Knott_15kg_Iron_Sand_In_Sto_p/aquairon15.htm
Thank you :)

AnAxolotlKid

Reaction score
If it is aquatic sand, it should be fine, but standard black sand is usually the best option. If it is plant sand, it may not be as good of a choice, but still definitely suitable. You should also rinse thoroughly before putting into the tank. Know that rinsing will take a long time, depending on how much sand you have. Enough sand for a 20gal tank takes about 30-45mins to rinse and the tank will still fog up, but after about a day, the sand fog should clear with the help of a filter.

AnAxolotlKid

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that axolotls do tend to prefer darker sand over lighter sand. The more thin/fine the sand is, the better!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!