3d backgrounds and external filters

Biff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, I am looking at getting a 3d background for my 3ft tank. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good place to buy this online in the uk and also does anyone known how this works with exteral filtration systems. I have the spray bar and intake on the back of teh tank and obviously the back gorund will cover this, will this affect the filter, any advice would be greatly appreciated. :p

I have a 3d background and also an external filter.

Rather than start cutting my hood I opted to just let it rest on the bars at the back.

Even though it's lifted slightly at the back you don't notice to look at it, and as there are still cutouts for the bars it stays in place just as it would normally.

Of course for a sexy solution you'll have to get the dremel out.

A word of advice for the 3D backgrounds, use LOTS of silicone to hold it in place, all over with the tank dry and only fill with water once cured. The pressure pushing up will tear it off if there's not enough adhesive, that's fine if it happens right away but what can happen is it breaks when you arn't home, firing your hood into the ceiling or worse at electronics.

The bouyancy of polystyrene in water cannot be underestimated.

Pro Tip for foam type 3D backgrounds:

Use aquarium rated silicone, it is much stronger than standard silicone.

Once a week has been allowed for the silicone to fully cure, gradually fill the tank a few liters at a time over a period of days. This lessens the buoyancy stress on the construction.

For molded and hollow resin type backgrounds, drill a few small holes in the top edge and bottom edge to relieve pressure and help speed curing. These can be sealed up later with silicone prior to filling the tank with water.

Excellent advice, just what i was looking for, cheers guys!:happy:

The pressure pushing up will tear it off if there's not enough adhesive, that's fine if it happens right away but what can happen is it breaks when you arn't home, firing your hood into the ceiling or worse at electronics.

I can just imagine watching TV when something like that happens, probably shouldn't laugh but it's a rather funny image! Been thinking of getting one myself if I can find them so will use this info :D

I had one of those really cool looking coarse black foam background/filter beds break loose during a fancy dinner party once. It burst up with such force it knocked the lid and light off into the water, which tripped the circuit breaker throwing my party into darkness.

Good news is, no axolotls were harmed in the incident.

Don't be afraid to use a bit of silicone, I was very indecisive about will I get sick of the background, So used a scarce amount of silicone, so I could take it off easy, biggest mistake. As it ripped up all my plants when it came off. Lucky I had no fish or other sea creature in the tank.

I concur.

For a 3ft tank I easily used a whole tube of aquarium silicone.

I'd advise maybe getting 2 tubes.

I emptied the tank and added the background and then weighted the background down using weights to ensure they were bonded well. I'd recommend doing the same.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back