Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

5 inch Axie juvenile not eating, brother in the same tank eating t fine

Soapamine

Reaction score
One of my juvinile axies, Spooky, is refusing food and has been for nearly a week now. I have two of them, same age and in the same tank, and the other, Azazel, is eating just fine. Azazel is about 5.5 inches ling and Spooky is about 5.
I've checked all my water levels and everything is fine except for the temperature which fluctuates between about 70f at nigh to 76f durring the day, I'm frequently putting ice in but its melting faster than I can freeze it and only lowers the temp by about a degree each time (thanks Florida)

I'm not sure what to do to get her to eat anything, I had the in the fridge over the last couple days hoping that she'd come back with an apetite but it doesn't seem she has.
It's also worth noting that Azazel is definitely male, over the last week his little butt's been swelling. Spooky is either female or showing no signs of sex yet. However, when I moved her back into the tank today Azazel seemed to want to be all over her. This could just be because they never can go near eacher, I have a divider in their tank and have since I got them 2 months ago to aboid anyone getting their gills munched.
No spermataphors have been found but its possible I've missed them, do you think Azazel is stressing her out? They're so young, I hope he's not trying to have babies this soon :(

I'll be working extra hard on lowering the temp, lots of ice is freezing as I type, is there anything else I can do to encourage her to eat?

Donna001

Reaction score
Please could you post your water parameters and a few pictures of your axolotls and set up.
I would have thought that your axolotls would be too young to be maturing. 3 of mine matured over the Easter holidays, they are around a year old and are 10 inches long. All 3 are definitely male and I can guarantee (from experience) that you would not miss spermatophores if they were around.
If you can also let us know what you are feeding your axis, and any other information you can think of. The more information that we have the more we will be able to help.
:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1