Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus and underweight

Libby2999

Reaction score
HI guys! Haven't been here for a long time and my two beloved axies where doing great! Until recently.

It all happened when I started feeding live earth worms like what was suggested on a YouTube video. Then they both got a fungus so I treated them with salt baths. Things cleared up just fine. But then it came back and worse. Plus the tank reeked like polluted lake! And my fridge! Yuck!! The worms themselves where infected with white fuzzy stuff and a few died and turned into mush!

So I went to it, cleaned the whole tank, threw the worms out and tried feeding them pellets again. The pellets I have now reek too so I'm assuming they went bad. I got more on order and should arrive tomorrow but both axies have lost a lot of weight. One of them has hip bones showing and I don't know if they'll make it now. :(

Please help. Should I try worms again? I mean everything happened because of them. Is pellet food fine? Salt bathing a severely underweight axie okay? How can I get them to gain weight? I miss their round belleis.

One thing to note it is hard to keep temp down so sometimes their water gets a bit warmer than should be but I keep it below 73 F

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!