Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wine refrigerators (salamandra salamandra)

firesalamander1

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just wondering on your thoughts on keeping salamandra salamandra in a wine refrigerator. It gets hot in the warmer months where I live and it is not always easy to keep little guys cool. Mine have recently been put into a fridge that keeps their temps usually no warmer than about 61 or 62 degrees. Thanks!

otolith

Reaction score
I used a wine cooler for my newts when I lived in Maryland. It worked very well and consistently kept everything at about 58F all summer long despite 100F+ degree heat spells.

Watch your humidity in terrestrial set ups though as they can dry out incredibly fast. This was less of an issue in my case since I had screen-topped aquatic set ups in it as well which buffered the humidity quite well.

firesalamander1

Reaction score
Thanks man! However, I was more curious as to whether or not people have kept salamandra in wine coolers. And if about 61 degrees is not too cold for them. The wine cooler i have doesnt go over 65 and even when set at 65, the temp in their tub is about 61.4-62 degrees at most. I know that most care sheets say to keep them 60-68, but most people keep them on the upper end of that scale. Would constantly keeping them at 61degrees not allow them to eat, function and overall thrive in their enviornment? I noticed mine (salamandra salamandra) prefer to only eat crickets with an occasional superworm. They hardly ever touch earthworms or night crawlers. Has anyone else noticed unusual behavior like this? I mean, arent all caudates supposed to go crazy for earthworms?!

otolith

Reaction score
Included in the "everything" I kept in the fridge was a group of Salamandra s. gallaica. They will eat regularly down to 50F, 61F is perfect. Just be wary of humidity and ventilation; use a screen lid and mist whenever necessary.

Try smaller worms rather than small pieces of large worms. I have found that picky eaters of many species will go after a tiny 2" worm viciously and ignore a 3/4" chunk of nightcrawler. My group was also very fond of garden slugs (just be sure to collect them from pesticide and herbicide free areas).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1