Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Opinions on my salamandra terrestris outdoor enclosure

Nuclear Herps

Reaction score
Opinions please dont be shy to ask questions.

Attachments

• 20150219_165949.jpg
    20150219_165949.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 792
  • 20150219_170029.jpg
    20150219_170029.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 598
  • 20150219_171031.jpg
    20150219_171031.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 553

sde

Reaction score
Looks good. How big is it? Also, how many salamanders are in there?
I would suggest adding a layer of chicken wire on the lid over the top of the mesh you already have on their. A animal could probably break through that mesh by the looks of it, so it wouldn't hurt to put some chicken wire in there for extra stability.

The folded carpet material is a great idea, it looks like there are lots of little hiding crevices for him.
I might also suggest adding a few more leaves on the ground, that way if he ever wants to go from one hide to the next he wont feel so exposed and out in the open when he does.
The water bowl looks quite nice, I have to say.
Thanks for sharing!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure plywood is going to last that long outdoors. It's made up of thin sheets of wood glued together. Moisture will soften the glue and swell the wood. Repetitive soaking a drying will eventually make it fall apart. I wouldn't want to expose a salamander to glues used to make plywood.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1