Tank size.

Sazroy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have one juvenile (10cm long) female axolotl.. I just bought her a new tank as her old one was only temporary cos I bought her last week and couldn't afford a proper tank.. but anyhoo she has her new tank now.. it's 40cm x 20cm.. is this big enough for one axolotl? It's quite open, I've put all her plants and her log to one side so over half the tank is free roaming space.

Not really, the tank is about 1/3 too small. An Adult Axolotl will need a tank atleast 60cm. The tank your using may be ok for the moment but bigger is better.

A larger tank will be easier to keep clean and will be more stable as Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels fluctuate less in larger volumes of water.

You should have waited and read up about Axolotl care before impulse buying. Did you put the Axolotl into fresh water?

That tank is a little short of the recommended 45 cm basic axolotl tank size. However it will be fine for a while, this will give you time to save up for a larger tank.

As Jackson has stated a larger tank will be easier to maintain, but not everyone has larger tank money immediately available so you will need to be diligent with your water changes and spot cleans.

Although impulse buying is generally not a good idea when purchasing a pet its too late now and so don't be afraid to come back and ask more questions, this is the best place to ask them!

Try to provide more then one hiding place so your axolotl has a choice. Would you be able to post a photo of your tank as this is usually very handy in helping us help you with any problems you may have, plus some of us are just nosey lol.!

I've had an axolotl before so I resent that "impulse buying" comment. But back then I had a 2ft tank and never needed to enquire about the tank size cos I could obviously SEE it was large enough.

:confused: Most people who come to Caudata for the first time with Axolotl problems would have bought their axolotl first and then rushed out to get a tank and other accessories. We all make mistakes when buying tanks depending on the type of amphibians/fish we own.

As Becky and Jackson said, your current tank is too small (only just though :p) My axolotl is currently residing in a 2.5 foot tank, althought a 2 foot tank is fine.
Becky called your tank purchase an impulse buy because when you described it (I bought her last week and couldn't afford a proper tank) it sounded like you weren't prepared for the 'lotl. She didn't mean anything nasty by it.
Anyhow, if you have any more questions we're all here to help :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back