Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T marmoratus feeding on L boscai?

pms17

Reaction score
Last weekend, I found a T marmoratus(I think it was a male) eating a L boscai in the pond near my house. Is this their normal behavior or does this mean that there is not enough food in the pond???

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Newts are opportunistic feeders - they don't know when their next meal is coming so they take what they can get. I don't know how significant predation of small bodied newts by large bodied newts is. Chances are the L.boscai was already dead, sick or just in the wrong place at the wrong time. If predation levels are high I imagine the two species would have learnt to avoid each other by now. As it is, Triturus often share breeding sites with Lissotriton which suggests predation of adults is fairly low.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Predation of T.marmoratus over L.boscai has been documented a few times and observed informally too. It seems that the incidence is relatively low, although if i recall properly, i think there was a study that showed that T.marmoratus females predate on adult L.boscai with certain frequency, at least in some populations.
Even if there is significant predation, i think L.boscai populations are capable of sustaining it, they have faster reproductive cycles and are quite numerous where the conditions are suitable. I doubt adults get eaten often, though, they are fast little buggers when they have to be.

pms17

Reaction score
There are A LOT of L boscai larvae in the pond so they'l survive the hungry marms XD.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1