Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can Caecillians be kept in NH?

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
I'll have to keep my eye out for them then :D they are interesting little amphibians :D I didn't even know they existed until a little while ago though XD Do any species have arms or legs or are they all limbless?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of things to keep in mind. First, what is offered is almost always wild-caught imports. And as I understand it, all caecilians are protected from collection and sale in the countries where they exist in the wild. Thus, all of them that come to market in the US got here in violation of the laws in the countries where they came from, usually because they are exported/imported as "rubber eels" and are passed off as fish. They are "legal" to sell in the US once they are here, so this is really a moral issue for you, not a legal one.

Regarding the laws in NH, you should really investigate this yourself. If you cannot find the regulations online, call your state fish and game office and ask about any and all rules relevant to keeping amphibians. You need to know, not just for caecilians, but for any other amphibians you may ever be interested in acquiring. It's important to be familiar with your state laws.

We don't allow commercial links in posts, unless absolutely necessary. So I edited Thomas's post.

Reaction score
Can caecilians be kept in NH?

We don't allow commercial links in posts, unless absolutely necessary. So I edited Thomas's post.

Oh, sorry Jen! :eek:

Do any species have arms or legs or are they all limbless?

They are all limbless.

Regarding the laws in NH, you should really investigate this yourself. If you cannot find the regulations online, call your state fish and game office and ask about any and all rules relevant to keeping amphibians. You need to know, not just for caecilians, but for any other amphibians you may ever be interested in acquiring. It's important to be familiar with your state laws.

Yes, please investigate this yourself. I don't believe they are illegal in NH, but I am certainly not infallible, so please investigate that yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrogEyes

Reaction score
And as I understand it, all caecilians are protected from collection and sale in the countries where they exist in the wild. Thus, all of them that come to market in the US got here in violation of the laws in the countries where they came from, usually because they are exported/imported as "rubber eels" and are passed off as fish.
I doubt this. Caecilians exist in many countries which export amphibians. Most of the caecilians I have seen for sale have been Dermophis, Herpele, Boulengerula, and Geotrypetes, all of which exist in exporting countries. I haven't had Ichthyophis in some time, but they too could be in the market legally. I suspect that you're thinking solely of Typhlonectes, which USED to be commonly sold, though much less often that I've seen of late.
They are "legal" to sell in the US once they are here, so this is really a moral issue for you, not a legal one.
Of course, in violation of foreign law, any "legal" animals would be in violation of the Lacey Act in the USA or WAPPRIITA in Canada.

No living caecilian is known to have limbs, but fossil species from Arizona DID have legs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!