Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

TOMATO FROG QUESTION

H

harpy

Hi all, I am looking for GOOD caresheet/guide on the Tomato frog.. I like they look of them and what to know how to take good care of them.. I want to make sure I know what to do with them..

anyone know where I can learn BEFORE I buy??

Thanks

Harpy

GaryH

Reaction score
Tomato Frog (Dyscophus antongili) Care Sheet

Tomato frogs are found near bodies of water in eastern Madagascar. They prefer moist areas such as swamps, ponds, and other slow moving water sources. Female tomato frogs are larger and brighter than males. Adults can reach 2-4 inches from snout to vent (not counting the legs). When threatened, tomato frogs can secrete a toxic slime that tastes bad and is irritating.

Temperature

Tomato frogs need to be maintained between 75-80 degrees during the day. Nighttime temperatures can drop into the low 70’s. During the summertime you probably won’t need any supplemental heating. However, during the winter months you should probably use a low wattage heat light. A red or other dark colored light can be used at night and these lights will not disturb your frogs day and night cycle. UVB lighting is not necessary but is recommended for tomato frogs. The UVB light will benefit any live plants and enhance the colors of your frogs. Humidity is important and you should mist your cage everyday. Ideally, the humidity needs to be maintained between 70-80 percent.

Housing

Tomato frogs can be housed comfortably in 20-29 gallon or larger terrariums. The cage should include plants (live or silk), branches and a water bowl. Do not use distilled or purified water for any amphibians. Never place a cage near a window where sunlight can directly shine on your cage. Cages placed in direct sunlight can easily overheat and ultimately lead to the death of your frog.

Bedding

We recommend using bark, Zoo Meds’ Eco Earth, or coconut bark. The substrate should be deep enough for your frog to burrow.

Food

Tomato frogs should be fed appropriate sized crickets, waxworms and night crawlers. Ideally, you should feed your tomato frogs 3-4 times each week. These frogs also need a vitamin/mineral supplement and you should dust its crickets at least twice a week.

Cleaning and HandlingThe terrarium should be cleaned as necessary. Any fecal matter or left over food should be cleaned out several times a week. Fresh clean water should be provided at all times. The inside of the terrarium can be cleaned out with an appropriate reptile cage cleaner, we recommend Natural Chemistry’s Healthy Habitat. Tomato frogs can be handled on a limited basis and always wash your hands before and after handling them.

africa%20-%20panther%20chameleons.jpg

Tomato frogs are found near bodies of water in eastern Madagascar. They prefer moist areas such as swamps, ponds, and other slow moving water sources. Female tomato frogs are larger and brighter than males. Adults can reach 2-4 inches from snout to vent (not counting the legs). When threatened, tomato frogs can secrete a toxic slime that tastes bad and is irritating.

Temperature

Tomato frogs need to be maintained between 75-80 degrees during the day. Nighttime temperatures can drop into the low 70’s. During the summertime you probably won’t need any supplemental heating. However, during the winter months you should probably use a low wattage heat light. A red or other dark colored light can be used at night and these lights will not disturb your frogs day and night cycle. UVB lighting is not necessary but is recommended for tomato frogs. The UVB light will benefit any live plants and enhance the colors of your frogs. Humidity is important and you should mist your cage everyday. Ideally, the humidity needs to be maintained between 70-80 percent.

Housing

Tomato frogs can be housed comfortably in 20-29 gallon or larger terrariums. The cage should include plants (live or silk), branches and a water bowl. Do not use distilled or purified water for any amphibians. Never place a cage near a window where sunlight can directly shine on your cage. Cages placed in direct sunlight can easily overheat and ultimately lead to the death of your frog.

Bedding

We recommend using bark, Zoo Meds’ Eco Earth, or coconut bark. The substrate should be deep enough for your frog to burrow.

Food

Tomato frogs should be fed appropriate sized crickets, waxworms and night crawlers. Ideally, you should feed your tomato frogs 3-4 times each week. These frogs also need a vitamin/mineral supplement and you should dust its crickets at least twice a week.

Cleaning and HandlingThe terrarium should be cleaned as necessary. Any fecal matter or left over food should be cleaned out several times a week. Fresh clean water should be provided at all times. The inside of the terrarium can be cleaned out with an appropriate reptile cage cleaner, we recommend Natural Chemistry’s Healthy Habitat. Tomato frogs can be handled on a limited basis and always wash your hands before and after handling them.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
The animals available in the pet trade are upland tomato frogs [aka 'false' tomato frogs], Dyscophus guineti.

It has not yet been established whether D.antongilii is distinct from D.guineti, but meanwhile the former is restricted to northeastern coastal regions of Madagascar, and it is protected under CITES. The two are very similar. D.insularis is rarely available and fairly plain in color.

Gary, since you obviously copied that information in its entirety from elsewhere, it would be highly appropriate to indicate exactly where you obtained the information.

GaryH

Reaction score
The animals available in the pet trade are upland tomato frogs [aka 'false' tomato frogs], Dyscophus guineti.

It has not yet been established whether D.antongilii is distinct from D.guineti, but meanwhile the former is restricted to northeastern coastal regions of Madagascar, and it is protected under CITES. The two are very similar. D.insularis is rarely available and fairly plain in color.

Gary, since you obviously copied that information in its entirety from elsewhere, it would be highly appropriate to indicate exactly where you obtained the information.

Yes I did, I meant to put the Entire link but slipped my mind, Ill edit that post with the link to that page, will that be suffient?

The above information was found on ReptiPro, below is an link to thier page.

http://www.reptipro.com/care-sheets/frogs-toads/15-tomato-frog-dyscophus-antongili-care-sheet.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1