Tank size for three axolotls

natrix

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mike
I was wondering what would be an ideal tank size for three axolotls. Also if any live plants could be used and if floating or planted would be best. I like the idea of floating plants. I have a nice piece of driftwood that I have used for fish but it makes the water look like iced tea. Is this harmful and can it be removed?

Thanks
Mike

I like a 40 gallon breeder for 3. They do well with both planted and floating plants. Just pick cold hardy species. Lots of people like floating plants because they provide nice shade for the animals.
Tannins in your wood turn it brownish- it is not harmful. You can add a product to your filter called purigen to remove tannins. It is tiny resin beads that bind to the tannins. If you buy it loose, you'll also want to purchase a mesh bag to put it in.

Floor space is as important as water volume - you need to choose a tank that is long instead of deep.

But 40gal or 100L is about right for 3 axies assuming it is about 12-15" deep.

A good tip is to have 1 foot of floor space per axie then a little more for filter, ideally you would want a 4 foot long tank and at least 1 foot deep :D

Plants that are okay in an axie tank, types of anubias, types of java, marimo moss balls, crypts, water lettuce, mini water lettuce, hornwort, and moss

Flake plants are good for hiding ect but real plants have more use in terms of 'helping' with water quality ect

I also have a pothos plants roots resting on a shower caddy in my tanks (the leaves coming out the top), its loves nitrates and is growing well so far (ive had it in there over a year) dont put the stems or leaves in that water though as its a house plant.

Also with the wood, although it makes the water a bit brown for a while the tannins do eventually stop, i think my water cleared up after around 3-4 weeks with my weekly water changes (my tank is fully cycled)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back