Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water conditions for eggs to develop?

fafler

Reaction score
I have had a pair of P. Walti for several years, They have laid massive amounts of eggs every once in a while, but all the eggs have always molded and never produced a single tadpole.

Now, they are at it again, the male dragging the much larger and fatter female around the tank, almost looking like he's trying to drown her (we all know that feeling), and I'll really like it to work out this time, as it's spring and I can keep the youngsters outside during the summer in a 2000 liter tank I use for collecting rainwater.

What's the optimum temperature and water quality for making the fry hatch? At this point I'm pretty sure tap water isn't good enough for the task. Rainwater? Water from local swamp?

There's a video of the two here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBl3NEfQ_g4
It's very clear the female has developed a strategy for finding the head of the worm and eating it first, while the male just keeps practising the grab'n'shake.

AguamigosTexas

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, but I keep lurking your thread here because I'd like to see the responses, too! In Houston, we use either Stress Coat or Pond Prime to dechlorinate the tap, and have been using that for our axolotl eggs. I'm not sure about using collected rain in this city due to the pollen and pollutants, but it sure is tempting when I'm refilling a 268 gallon pool to let the sky do it. X)

Using this method, the only ones that mold are the non-viable eggs.

The hatch rate on our babies is somewhat variable, but I don't know whether to attribute this to genetics (some of our "rescue" axolotls breed occasionally and they've never been in top form) or temperature at the time, or what. The nutrition of all the parents is consistently good each year. (shrug!)

Hopefully you get some more feedback here. :frog:

fafler

Reaction score
I live in rural Denmark, and here there's no chlorine in the tap water, and I`m sure the rain water is clean enough. I think the problem is the waters hardness. I'm not sure if that is the right word, but it contains too much calcium. My ancistrus catfish also refused to breed in it.

Last night, she laid the first eggs. What I'm going to try is take some water and let it temperate, and then transfer the eggs to a bunch of buckets with 10-20 in each, placing some at 14-16 degrees celcius, and some at 7-8 degrees.

I've ordered Artemia eggs. Is it soon enough to start the culture as soon as they break free from their eggs? Further down the road I plan to introduce some aquatic plants and daphnia to the water tank, a 2000 liter stainless steel container used for food production, and introduce the larvae to it when the outdoor water temperature matches the indoor, and pretty much leave them to themselves, feeding them whatever I can catch in the local pond, that isn't going to turn back on the larvae and eat them instead. If i can get a lot of guppies, I'll probably setup a breeding colony until they can live off nightcrawlers like their parents.

fafler

Reaction score
So, back in may I had buckets of eggs in different water conditions and not a single tadpole.

I few weeks ago, they laid eggs again and this time I just ignored them. Didn't even bother to remove the eggs. And now, suddenly the tank is full of tadpoles :eek:

October is probably the worst time in terms of food, but I'll get some artemia cultures going ASAP and hope for the best. Any pointers for good food items will be much appreciated.

Daimler

Reaction score
Dont move the eggs out of the water cause it can kill eggs.
The temperature for my pleurodeles was 16-18C during the winter and 28-30 during the summer and the 95% of the eggs become "tadpoles" (more correct call it larvae) and in that moment you need to separate adult from eggs/larvae cause they eat them! (but its better separate them when the pleurodeles lay all the eggs)
Mine lay eggs all year except on summer, when its too hot.
Although they have lot of anubias and stones, my pleurodeles lay the most of eggs on the egeria densa (it is a great plant for newbie)
American Water Weed (Cabomba aquatica) - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

Last edited:

Daimler

Reaction score
About the food: give artemia for thousand of larvae can be a hell.
search this: microworms, daphnia, Cyclopidae, turbatrix aceti :blob:

fafler

Reaction score
The tadpo... larvae are doing great! I've been feeding them pondwater, and I'll keep doing that until the water outside gets to cold to catch anything. I'm not sure how many I have. The most I've definitely seen at one time is 5, but there are bound to be a lot more, as I have a lot of plants. My guess would be around 10-20, which seem like a good amount to provide food for.

Microworms seems like a good choice. I had a really productive Daphnia culture outside this summer, but it has died off, so that's not much use now, and doing the same thing inside in the winter seems like a lot of work. So it's probably microworms until they are large enough to eat chopped up earthworms or frozen bloodworms.

ErickG

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been raising a large number of larvae and have left hundreds in the parents tank, because they will lay eggs every time I add water or perform a water change. The eggs/larvae end I just polluting the water and it's been somewhat cyclical.

Since I don't trust any tap water source, I use an RO system and use additives to get the water parameters to my spec. It's been working for my newts/salamanders/dart frogs tadpoles.

The freshly hatched larvae are pretty hardy. I transfer as many as I can into shoebox containers with java moss and various plants. For the first three days of hatching, I don't feed. By the fourth, I simply add microworms in the water and they seem to go for it. By the end of the first week, I supplement with Ocean Nutrition Baby Brine. I don't particularly see them going for this, but by the next morning, it seems like it's dissolved or eaten. The next couple of weeks, I just use whiteworms that I harvest from an isopod culture that I have. These nematodes become the staple for the smaller ones and you'll notice they actually go for these worms. You'll also notice that others grow faster. That's when I'll introduce live blackworms. I initially started to chop them up but I don't bother anymore. Just throw them in and let the larvae fight for them like spaghetti.

You'll need to split them up because the larger ones will eat the smaller larvae. I do partial water changes, around 50% to 90% every three days. I'll gauge this based on the detritus I see at the bottom of the container.

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1