Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire Bellied Newt swimming into Tank Glass

Mnalik

Reaction score
Hi All,

My Fire-Bellied Newt has finally taken to the water after 8 months being terrestrial. He eats fine etc. My only concern is that he constantly seems to be digging in the corners of the tank or trying to swim through the glass. He often spends a lot of time trying to go further than the tank and swim at the glass.

Anyone else experienced this or have any tips to prevent this?

Thank You!

SKC

Reaction score
Hi Mnalik,

I don't have an answer for you but one of my ribbed newts does this too. There's plenty of room, plants and hiding places and the water quality is fine. The preferred corner of the tank for "using the treadmill" faces a blank wall so maybe she's seeing a reflection?

Does anyone else have any insights?

joemomma1016

Reaction score
I agree with SKC. If all the parameters are good and there isn't any other stressors around, it should be good. My newts do this as well and even my fish!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could hang something on the sides out side of the tank and see if that helps with his swimming into the walls. Paper or something.

Nioa

Reaction score
My firebellies would do this as well but they seemed otherwise healthy. Perhaps more floating plants would help?

joyjoy22

Reaction score
I can't wait to see mine swim in the tank glass, but I think it will take time for him to adjust in his new home.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!