Grey Fungus

hanniebumblebee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
hannie bee
Hey I haven't currently got a camera to take any photos but I have Miso in the fridge. He has been there for 2 days now and he has developed very thick white and grey fungus on one of his gills. He has also gone quite yellowy, he's usually white with grey speckles on his face. Im quite worried but he seems to have perked up since being in the fridge. I have been salt bathing him once a day. I am unsure wether to do it more frequently. Im so scared that he is going to die :(

Is the white stuff on the gills fuzzy looking? If so than that is more likely fungus. You can give Miso up to 3 salt bath a day for about 10 minutes (no longer than 15 minutes). Remember to fix a new salt bath every time and use water that is the same temp. as the water in the fridge.
Good luck with Miso, hope he gets better soon.

He has also gone quite yellowy,
Please, could you post a Photo.
Is he still eating fine and what do you feed him?
When an axie becomes yellowy, it might be that he has a problem with his liver and the fungus could be a hint for an infection.

Hi Hanniebumblebee,

Photos and more history is required before we can look at the case. Callina means well, but i just want to clarify one area so that it doesn't cause any confusion or misunderstanding. (You are doing well Callina, i just want to further elaborate on a point you made).

Unlike other species of animals, a yellowing of the skin (jaundice) cannot be accurately determined in axolotls based on external appearance. This is because some axies have a xanthic pigment (yellow pigment) and some even build up a yellowish tinge due to riboflavin accumulation (axanthic axies). As such, i don't wan't axie owners to suddenly panic if they see their 'albino' juvenile turning yellow with age.

Liver problems in axies are more accurately determined by a blood biochemistry test. There will also be other accompanying tell-tale clinical signs and presentation. In terms of physical 'assessment', this is subjective as the only relatively safe areas to look out for are oral and cloacal mucosa. These tissue should look pink rather than yellow. Even so, judging the colour is really an acquired skill gained over many years of experience from differentiating normal from the abnormal as there are varying shades between pink to yellow.

Regards

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back