Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops ensicauda popei - unusual color

P

paul

Hi!

Some pics of my two unusual coloured C.e.p. female. Own breeding (00 and 01).
24402.jpg

24403.jpg

24404.jpg

24405.jpg

24406.jpg

Paul

I

ira

very interesting coloration. have any of their offspring exhibited similar traits?

TJ

Reaction score
Those really are unusual
biggrin.gif

Seems you've had great breeding success.

Congrats!

P

paul

The grey one is from autumn 2000. After metamorphosis it was typical black like the other C.e.p. juvenile. But within the first year it became lighter and lighter.

The other is from spring 2001. It was nearly completely brown after metamorphosis. Within the first year more and more black spots developed (look at photo archives of Cynops Register):
http://de.geocities.com/paul_bachhausen/cynops/C_e_p_brauner.htm

Until now I did not have more of such funny C.e.p. - but I take only 30 to 50 of the hundreds and hundreds eggs out of the tank, and I give the juvenile away short time after metamorphosis. So I do not know if this unusual color could pass on to the new juvenile.

Paul

J

john

I'm wondering if this might have something to do with in-breeding? They are lovely but obviously they wouldn't last long in the wild.

P

paul

John, maybe?
But in this message:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/985/6750.html?1066598265
Tim also posted a drawing of an red C.ensicauda!
Source:
A monograph of the tailed Batrachians of Japan.
Sato, I. 1943.
Nippon Shuppansha, Osaka. 520 pp.

And in an other message he also mentioned a link to a photo of an other red wild caught C.e.
Can not find the link.

Paul

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!