Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank help! Sub adult axolotl tank size?

JustenT

Reaction score
Hello, I have 2 sub adult axies.
They are my babies and rn I have them in a 20 gallon tank. It’s a 20 long, I want more room for them, so I have a few questions.
They are currently on a stand, that can fit 32 x 18

I found This: is it bigger even know it has less gallons, would it be better because it’s low, and wide, and long?

https://aqualabaquaria.com/collecti...-rimless-aquarium-10-gal-ultum-nature-systems

I also found a 18x18x18 25 gallon cube, would this acceptable even know it would be less surface, I could add a platform in the middle that could span half the tank. Would that be better than the first option, or does anyone have any ideas? I was staying away for a 29 gallon, I really like the rimless look because my other 5 tanks are rimless. Please help, if anyway has any better options in the sub 200$ mark please let me know.

Kitan

Reaction score
More floor space is always better than depth, BUT with two axolotls that can grow 10-15" I expect 10 gallons would be VICIOUS to keep the ammonia down. Additionally, if you have a 20 long, the measurements should be roughly 30x12x12, meaning the one you linked to actually has less floor space, by 5" or so. I would completely avoid the cube; the space is as much for swimming as walking, so adding a second level wont really work.

I would think the best solution for your upgrade would be checking second hand options, like kijiji or craig's list. You can find huge aquariums for under $200. I got my 29 gal, with filter, for $40 CAD. No, I am not suggesting a 29 gal :p That wont have more floor room than your 20 long, but just showing the kind of deals you can get :D

Good luck in your hunt :D

Cgilliam9x19

Reaction score
Also, something ive been doing recently is building “levels” out of pvc and other aquarium safe materials. So if you have a taller tank this is also an option! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1