Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Grey coloration in Cynops orientalis

H

heather

Hey guys,
I was walking through a store selling Cynops orientalis and saw that some of the newts had a greyish coloration. I know that there are fire bellied newts that have this color naturally but:

could they also get this color when they are sick??

i liked the color they were but i hesitated to buy one in case of illness. Can anyone answer my question?

TJ

Reaction score
Check out this thread, entitled "Grey orientalis":

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/8466.html

Here's a grey one of mine:

27563.jpg

H

heather

Thanx Tim! great photos in that thread, and yours is perfectly healthy right??

maybe i will go down tot he store and get one of the grey males they have!!

TJ

Reaction score
Here's a different one:

67768.jpg

67769.jpg

(Message edited by tj on July 16, 2006)

TJ

Reaction score
I should note that this is a phase as the above newt was as black as the others when I got her. Still, that's not to say that all the others can also become like this. I simply don't know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1