Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

VT Press: Salamander "crossing guards" help out on way to breeding pool

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO (Colchester, Vermont) 21 April 08 Salamander "crossing guards" help out on way to breeding pool (Melody Bodette)
If you've never seen a yellow-spotted salamander, the first thing strikes you is their size. They can grow up to 8 inches long and they can live up to 12 years.
They're not commonly seen because they live underground. On rainy spring nights they move to breeding pools and unfortunately, many have to cross roads to get there. No one knows how many yellow-spotted salamanders live in the state, but biologists know their numbers are decreasing.
So a group of volunteers has started getting together at these crossing sites to help the salamanders get across the road safely. One volunteer referred to herself as a "salamander crossing guard."
VPR's Melody Bodette visited the busiest crossing is on the Monkton-Vergennes Road. Hundreds cross here, and many don't make it: (audio link: http://www.vpr.net/news_detail/80218/#)
http://www.vpr.net/news_detail/80218/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1