Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stunted growth due to captivity?

FluffyHerper

Reaction score
Hello, I've been using the pond water method and I am aware that spotted salamanders lay their eggs around the same time. But I hatched salamander eggs about a month ago and the salamanders have barely grown. They have front legs and are starting to sprout back legs. I never thought that there would be anything wrong with them... till today. I was out collecting pond water and with a net, scooping up the extra daphnia swimming around and a caught a salamander larvae that could swallow my babies whole. Am I doing something wrong? Does captive keeping normally stunt growth? If I am doing something wrong would it be; a habitat not big enough, not enough food (they go through food in less than a day and the daphnia population always goes down at this time of year due to the excess larval pond life), or something else?
Thanks!
Gigi.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I found that Spotted salamanders grow very slowly to start with. Once they move off from Daphnia onto small chopped worm, they will pick up a little more. Make sure the water is clean , as in no ammonia etc and the food is plentiful at all times and all should be good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!