Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander with huge open wound on abdomen

AsiaNicole

Reaction score
I've had my tiger salamander for about a year and a half with no issues. Long story short, I have noticed that he has not been interested in food in a while and has shown abnormal behavior. I took him to the vet today and he has a large open wound (muscle is exposed) underneath him, starting right below his neck and going down to around where his front legs are. He also has a small patch of missing skin near one of his back legs, and a couple smaller wounds on his tail.

He absolutely HATES being picked up, he is almost always covered in dirt when I see him, and there is nothing in his enclosure that could cut him. Because of this I haven't seen underneath him in a really long time so I had no idea. The vet thinks it is an infection and I have oral medications, a topical ointment, and something to soak him in, so hopefully it all works.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this with their salamanders??? And is there a good chance of him recovering ok or am I being too optimistic? He is still able to move around and has dug himself underground a few times (he is in a tank with only wet paper towel now though). I'm hoping for the best, and I will always make sure to check him over periodically in the future. But I'd appreciate anyone else's opinions or past experiences.

*** I did not attach a picture because it's pretty graphic looking =/ ***

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm so glad you had a vet to take him to. Without knowing the cause, and also such an extensive wound, I wouldn't be hopeful, but you are trying your best!! Good luck!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!