Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Daphnia - am I doing it right?

DeCypher

Reaction score
So I have one 10g tank of Daphnia Magna and a larger tub of Pulex/moina and some magna. I keep a T5 fluorescent grow light on both 12/12hrs. I feed only active dry yeast when the water clears up, and regularly cull a few net fulls every week for my adult axolotls to hunt. Both setups have an open airline anchored with a piece of natural slate for aeration. Both have been running for about a month, and generally epipphia/black eggs are produced by 10% or less of the population. I change 20-30% of the water per week. My setup and idea is based on the caudata culture article for culturing daphnia. Just a few questions!
- The sediment on the bottom of both has accumulated and it is rather unsightly. Is it fouling the water? Am I really supposed to just leave it?
- The whispy green algae has been rapidly taking over both setups. Is that beneficial or should I get rid of it?
- All surfaces are becoming covered with debris/algae, however many of the smaller daphnia/moina seem to cling to the sides. Should I use my mag-float to clean the surfaces or leave it?
- I have 2 small sponge filters on the way for those open airlines for mechanical filtration and encouragement of beneficial bacteria. Is this a good idea?
Any other hints or tips would be greatly appreciated! I am trying to get my axolotls to breed so I'd like a steady supply for the babies.
First pics are of 10g tank, next are the plastic tub, then both.
It's been years since I've cultured daphnia, so again any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• taank1.jpg
    taank1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 284
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 189
  • bin1.jpg
    bin1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 192
  • bin2.jpg
    bin2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 190
  • bin3.jpg
    bin3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 210

Viking

Reaction score
The algae is not a real problem but you can put ramhorn snails in the tank. They will eat the algae and produce bacteria with their solid waste. This can be used to feed the daphnia.

I would suggest using waste tank to grow greenwater to feed your daphnia cultures Your can put totes area to do this in warmer weather put a screen to prevent mosquito larvae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!