Question: Juvenile axie gills\\water current

notaphrodite

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey! I'm a new mom to a 5ish week old axie. The babe is currently in a 10gal tank, all water levels are good. At the moment I am using an external waterfall canister filter, but the flow even at low was too much so I attached some netting to evenly distribute and now there is little-no current, really only light rippling on water level from my fan/filter. For some reason I just feel like my babe is unhappy with the flow because the gills seem a little more forward than when I was tubbing.. feathers seem fine and healthy, but.. I guess my question is, what angle are juvenile axies gills supposed to be?? More flat towards their body or more vertical? I've been wondering since I brought the babe home.

Thank you!

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3869.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

It doesn't look like stress curl to me. Little guys often grow into their gills so they can look a bit floppy at this age. Stress curl looks more like a tight curl towards the head

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back