Hello!

Axies R us

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello to the small amount of people who will read this! I do not currently own any chaudates, but I'm working on getting an axolot. After several months of research and earning money (I'm too young to get a job) and putting together Lizzy's (My future axie's name) tank I just have to wait for the Euros to populate the worm farm. I'm looking forard to getting Lizzy but I think it's going to suck having to chop up worms every other day. How do you guys feed your axolotls, if you have any? I do currently have a betta fish and a nerite snail in seperate tanks. Looking into getting some fish to accompany the snail. I live in a small town and the nearest place to get axolotls is three hours away. So, those of you keep or have kept axolotls, do you prefer leucistic or melaniod? Also, how do make a poll?
Have a good day!:happy::talker:

The frequency of feeds depends on size/age. Do you know the size of axolotl you're thinking of getting? Mine were about 2-3 inches when I got them and they were eating live blackworms twice a day. Now they're 7 inches or so and eating a whole nightcrawler a day. Some prefer to eat less and will only feed a couple of times a week. It's all a matter of figuring out what the individual likes. When they're young you can cut up the worms (get some good sharp scissors, you get used to it haha). Eventually they might take whole worms (depends on the individual).
I've had lots of colour morphs and my preference changes all the time. Coppers are really lovely and hard to find depending on where you live (they're fairly common where I am). At the moment I love freckly leucys. I was lucky that the 2 inch baby I got has started developing beautiful freckles as she's grown. I also have a wild at the moment and he's got some pretty speckles!
I've never made a poll on here so no idea!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back