Hurt Axolotl

Leslieks

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two axolotls. One is larger than the other by maybe an inch and a half. They have been living together for a little over two months. They have been great together but occasionally I find a couple of bits missing from my smaller axolotl's tail. He grows them back fairly quickly and I never thought it would be a problem. I went over to my tank today and a large piece of his tail was missing and it seemed like his leg was hurt too because he wouldn't use it. He stays very still I even thought he was dead for a moment. He leans on one side of his body and that scares me a lot. I believe it's because he doesn't want to put any pressure on his leg but I'm not really sure. I don't have a separate tank at the moment so I want to fridge him so that he's in very cold water and hopefully stress-free while he recovers. The tank is a 55 gallon and they have a large cave to hide with some pots on each side. Could the reason he's leaning to one side mean something else?

P.S. I fed them right away and they were both very eager to eat.

Attachments

• IMG_20190807_115124.jpg
    IMG_20190807_115124.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20190807_113359.jpg
    IMG_20190807_113359.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 136
Not sure about the leaning, but you definitely need to put a divider up in that tank before you take him out of isolation!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back