Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fish eggs / Roe / Spawn?!!

R

richard

i recently went on a 3 day river trip an was fairly successful in my fishing. we managed to catch 7 rainbow trout(we only kept one), but managed to "harvest" the eggs. now that I am back home, and not in a fishing mood, does the anyone agree that maybe i could feed my c. Orientalis the eggs in the food dish? I am unsure where to put this post....the spawn is in the fridge....

(Message edited by richierich on May 10, 2006)

R

richard

i put 5 eggs in his food dish but he hasnt touched them yet, or visited his dish for that matter

E

edward

It is called roe and yes it can be used as a food source (but keep in mind that the eggs are high in fat).

Ed

R

richard

i thought only salmon eggs were called roe, but w/e
smile6.gif
if roe is high in fat, then should i only present them once a month or so to offer a treat? should i avoid them on the same rule as pinky mice? is the fat content of roe too high to be a suitable food. i understand this cannot be a staple

(Message edited by richierich on May 11, 2006)

E

edward

Nope, all fish eggs are roe. It is high in fat and can be used either as conditioning food or an occasional food.

Ed

PetGuy302

Reaction score
I have a pair of CFB's and once or twice a year (for the past 5 years) during trout season they get a nice sack of rainbow trout eggs. They LOVE them! It is safe, just not as a staple.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!