Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

<font color="0000ff"><i>Cynops pyrrhogaster</i> in the wild - <b>Special!</b></font>

TJ

Reaction score
This is a continuation of the "Part IV" thread
(http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/20545.html?1092886741), which showed newts found at two locations in northern Hyogo Prefecture. The following pics are of newts found in the southern part of the same prefecture, which have dramatically different ventral patterns compared with their northern cousins.

21597.jpg

21598.jpg

K

kamil

Very nice Pictures! Thank you for sharing them!
I like the ones with the red spots on the back most.

J

jesper

Nice pics of c.p. Tim, have almost forgot how they looked hehe.
Yo Kamil, what about forcing your german sal-friends to come here and post more often
biggrin.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am always thrilled to see the variety of ventral patterns shown by C.pyrrhogaster, and it's especially interesting when they're from a single location. They're obviously not Sasayama race, at least from my understanding of Sasayama race, though they're found either in or in close proximity to the range of Sasayama.

SPECIMEN <u>6</u>

23910.jpg

23911.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on October 04, 2004)

J

john

Fantastic stuff. I missed this the first time around. There's another Cynops article in there Tim, if you can ever find the time to right it ;).

J

john

Tim, would you mind if I made a special subtopic to hold the 5 C.p. threads so they are readily viewable by all?

D

danny

Tim you are so lucky to have such abundant species so close by to study! Hmmm have a spare room your not using??? Id love to go to Japan and take a look around to!

J

javier

Great idea !!!

I love how you show the nature mysteries.

Xavier.

Molch

Reaction score
Re: <font color="0000ff"><i>Cynops pyrrhogaster</i> in the wild - <b>Special!</b></font>

this is a very old thread, but I'm just delighted at these awesome pics of pyrrhs in the wild! I've always wanted to visit Japan and climb around their mountains and go herping and wildlife watching.

It seems that living in lowland rice paddies some C. pyrrhogasters would be subjected to very high temps....at any rate, it appears their natural habitat range from ponds to clear creeks. Fascinating stuff!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1