Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pyrrhogaster which subspecie is it ? - photos inside

Molch

Reaction score
hmm..but I've had him for 13 years, and he was adult when I got him.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I see. It may be an effect of him not being in breeding condition and making him look underveloped. Has he ever had a breeding season?

Molch

Reaction score
yes! In fact, he's courting girls like crazy right now, and he's bred in the past. I have another male with the typical sasayame belly who has never bred nor ever shown any interest in courting - but this one is Mr. Rutty for sure.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I take that in the pictures he was not in breeding condition. Any chance of a picture of him as of now? Seeing his colors when in full condition may help. Otherwise i´m stumped xDD

Molch

Reaction score
the pic shows him as of yesterday, in full courting mode. :) I guess this is as rutty as he'll ever be. Although during previous breeding seasons he has had a bit more of a purple sheen in his tail.

Joost

Reaction score
Can you tell more about his courting behaviour? If it's a sasayama subspecie, you should see that he places his hind leg on the head or neck of the female.

Molch

Reaction score
Can you tell more about his courting behaviour? If it's a sasayama subspecie, you should see that he places his hind leg on the head or neck of the female.

yes! I've seen him do that. Not every time, but at least on occasion.

Molch

Reaction score
here he is at work on his girl. It's not a great pic, but you can see his tendency to put his large foot on her neck. She wasn't sitting still for him either.

Their tank is actually full of plants; they just happen to be in the bare corner.

Attachments

• IMG_5574.jpg
    IMG_5574.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 265

Molch

Reaction score
aha. Cool. So the mating behavior gave him away? Would a kanto be more polite about it, such as not trying to get too physical with the female?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Aha! The foot on the head, the final clue xD
The Kanto race has a very similar courtship ritual but without the feet fetish.
The morphology and the behaviour coincide with sasayamae, i too think that´s what your animal is.
It´s weird, however, that his colors are so faded. Most sasayamae display stronger color changes during season, it may very possibly be the age.

Molch

Reaction score
Aha! The foot on the head, the final clue xD
The Kanto race has a very similar courtship ritual but without the feet fetish.
The morphology and the behaviour coincide with sasayamae, i too think that´s what your animal is.
It´s weird, however, that his colors are so faded. Most sasayamae display stronger color changes during season, it may very possibly be the age.

so he's an old fart with a foot fetish. Just what I need....:wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1