New pyrrhogaster tank with fake rock shelf

my dog and I collect all our sand and gravel on the local beaches during summer. The sea is very obliging because it pre-sorts and washed the gravel for us. All we have to do is shovel it in the bucket (well, Molch shovels, doggie eats stinky dead things and looks out for bears).

I have about 4 tubs full of various grades of sand and gravel in my shed - enough for the next 27 tanks or so :)

Attachments

• collecting gravel.jpg
    collecting gravel.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 786
  • bear tracks.jpg
    bear tracks.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 400
  • the Pudden on the beach.jpg
    the Pudden on the beach.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 478
Molch
Thank you for the pictures and descriptions.
I always think about moving to more remote areas. I enjoy the lack of people. Sometimes after a reclusive period when I go to a crowded airport or store I get the "flight" or "skin crawl" feeling. How is it being off the beaten path?
I have never seen a bear in the wild but when I'm in bear country I get concerned about safety.
Have you ever had an encounter? Do carry any bear deterrents?

Thanks,
Aaron

Molch

I have never seen a bear in the wild but when I'm in bear country I get concerned about safety.
Have you ever had an encounter? Do carry any bear deterrents?

Thanks,
Aaron

Hi aaron,
we see bears all the time and sometimes they walk through our neighborhood. My doggie and I carry bear spray when out and about, but the bears are good citizens and we've never had any problems. We're much more worried about moose lol. Oh, and don't sit down in a big wad of bear poop.

I love the idea of the shelf!! I'm trying to decide what i want to do for a terrestrial area on my future tank

Molch, I love your tanks! I have a Walstadt style 65g fish tank and really want to set up my newt tanks this way (the water quality and clarity seem so much better with this set up, too; and then throw in the beauty - just marvelous! My fish tank has never done better) but I have had some concerns about ingestion with the small gravel, and also black worms infesting the soil. How do you combat this? Are there other things to consider as well that I am not taking into account?
Thank you!
Heather

I really liked your use of sand on the silicone to give it a natural "rock like" look. I'm trying to use it in 2 of the tanks I'm currently building for my lonely T. alpestris and my 2.2 C. ensicauda popei that I got last week. What kind of silicone did you use? I used some black DAP brand stuff that I know is aquarium safe but it doesnt seem like much of the sand is sticking. I'll find out for sure tomorrow I guess after it sets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back