Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tyloto verrucosus size at maturity.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could anyone give me a rough idea what size T. verrucosus will be when I can tell the sexes apart? I reckon they are about 40% of their adult size now, but they all look very much the same as each other at the moment.

mr cyclone

Reaction score
4-5 inches they may be sexable,I have two here that are 4-5 inches and I cant sex mine yet ,Can take a good guess though.Normally the heads of the males look darker than the females but thats just 1 observation,Cloaca determination is the best way.
I think they are called Shanoram now???
Post some pics of them Dude and we can take a look:confused:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, cheers. I will get some pics when I can catch them. I have noticed a difference in head shape, but it may just be that some are more mature than others, Two of them have really warty, almost triangle heads, whereas the other two have less warts and a more slender profile. I can't see a difference between their cloacas yet though.

velasco13000

Reaction score
That's a good idea. I have a group of 5 as well and I want to try and breed them soon. Any pics or easy way to sex them?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its hard to say at the moment, if anything the ones with the more slender heads have slightly longer tails, but not by very much.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I can just about identify the sexes by looking at the cloaca. The males seem to have a longer slit than the female.
I thought body shape was reasonable indicator, as in females being more rounder, but found that unreliable.... too many females turned out to be male :(

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of three out the four of them. The last one is better at avoiding the net than these, but I'll get him in the end. :)
They are smaller than they look in their tank, I think the bow front magnifies them somehow.

Attachments

• tylo a.jpg
    tylo a.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 320
  • tylo f.jpg
    tylo f.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 322
  • tylo h.jpg
    tylo h.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 358
Reaction score
I I had similar problems sexing them but mine now are very fat could that be because they are females full of eggs . They look healthy enough they seem to go through this in stages every few months. regards KB

mr cyclone

Reaction score
I think I have two males and a juvenile female , although their cloaca is still non descript .ill take a look of your pictures when I'm on the laptop

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think I have it sussed, but then after a few days I'm not so sure. I think they might still be immature at the moment. I was looking at their parents the other week and I could certainly tell which sex some of them were just based on their body shapes.

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Hi , I am on the laptop now .I think the animals are still abit young to guess another couple of months and take the same photos again.I have 3 here at the moment im unsure of the sexes but will be able to tell 100% when they are another couple of months old
cheers

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, they are growing so quickly at the moment. I've been away for a couple of days and couldn't believe how much bigger they were when I got back!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1