Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Possible mite problem

GeorgeH

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post and I wish it was about something better than a mite problem in my tiger salamander terrarium. I have two males that I ordered online about a year ago. Lately I've been noticing some mites on the salamanders and around the inside of the cage. I don't know if their harmful or not, but I'm assuming they are. How do I treat something like this? Is mite killer designed for reptiles okay for salamanders? I'm wondering if I will need to remove everything and quarantine the salamanders. Should I give them baths? Sorry for all the questions. I'll send pics of the tank and hopefully find some of the mites. They are really small so I don't know if I'll be able to get any pictures with my phone. Also, one of the salamanders hasn't been eating as much, and is frequently in the water dish. He is also rubbing himself against the decorations. Both are now in the water dishes almost all the time. I really don't know what to, so any help would be appreciated.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
reptile mite killer is not safe for salamanders. Adding isopods to the set up will help clean up some of the waste and help with the mite problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1