Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Availability of several species?

Pudmuppy

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I moved from the UK to the USA a few years ago, and in doing so had to give up my large animal collection,most sadly! I am now permanent here and ready to start rebuilding my fish and amphibian collection.

There are surprisingly huge differences in availability between the UK and here, probably due to the 2016 rulings? I was wondering if any keepers could give me some general opinions on the availability of the following species - this is a bad time of year to be researching I guess as it's always hard to find animals, but how reasonable is it to expect to find these species over the next year or so? Caveat; I know some species are $$$ and I am not that sort of collector - yet!;

Spanish ribbed newts (seems to be the easiest to find, and my fave! I may have sourced some)

Firebelly newts (may have sourced some)

Mandarin newt or any Tylototriton

Paddletail newt

Thanks everyone!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Spanish ribbed newts (seems to be the easiest to find, and my fave! I may have sourced some) -available with some frequency

Firebelly newts (may have sourced some)- not so easy to find anymore

Mandarin newt or any Tylototriton- occasionally available

Paddletail newt- no longer available in US as wc and no one is breeding them. Though people have tried and tried!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!