Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do you use a filter?

does your axolotl tank have a filter

• yes

Votes: 127 91.4%
  • no

Votes: 12 8.6%

• Total voters

skyeaxolotls

Reaction score
I use cannister filter on my 40 gal axie tank and I also have a few live plants in it. I just put sponge on the output of the cannister to reduce the water flow. I also have a sponge filter that I set to low. I think it's better to have a filter in an axie tank and cycle it. Also, my cannister has 3 media trays. For the bottom, I have 3 sponges, coarse, medium, fine and I use biohome ultra media for other two. It works great for me.

Bengdogg

Reaction score
I have two canister filters on my main tank both with spraybars pointing towards the glass they are suckered too. The main tank is a Juwel rio 180. The filters are Tetratec EX1200 and a Eheim 2215. My other tank is a Fluval Roma 125 with a Tetratec EX700. Both the Tetratec have extra media chucked in for good measure and Seachem Purigen to keep the water crystal clean. I am toying with getting an inline UV filter for them also but I don't think I need it as my lotties seem happy and healthy. The other thing I have toyed with is second filter for the Roma 125 as a redundancy should the EX700 fail but I don't like filters in the tank as I can always hear them and it annoys me.

Bengdogg

Reaction score
Scratch that last bit I remembered I had a 650lph internal from All pond soloutions that has a spray bar and is quiet so I just added that to the Roma 125. If you aim towards the glass and slightly upwards it causes plenty of surface agitation but no disturbing flow inside the tank.

axolodemia

Banned
Reaction score
i use TWO filters in my 37 gallon. each is rated to 40 gallons i think. i either use both at once, one at a time, or leave both off. i only change one cartridge at a time.

note: this is the filtration recommended for laboratories in the book "developmental biology of the axolotl"

Anniebeth

Reaction score
So I see this a fairly old thread, but its a new discussion for me.

I have two smallish tanks with a mature axolotl in each. I had a filter in the 40ltr tank and the two axys together tolerated it ok. They mainly stayed on the bottom of the tank though.

I had to rehome one axy as the other 'mysteriously' lost an entire foreleg. I now call them Nibbler and Niblet. I rehoned Nibbler into a 28ltr tank, only meant as an interim measure. He was fine til I turned the filter on, at which point he appeared to panic, trying to find somewhere to hide and staying very still. So since then he's been without a filter and I've discovered a whole new side to axolotl behaviour. He swims around the entire tank. He climbs into the plants. He's much more active.

So I turned off the filter in the 40ltr tank where Niblet resides. He seems happier too, and more active, making more use of the whole tank. We have yet to see if his leg will grow back though, and I'm concerned for him incase his wound increases his risk of infection.

I do weekly water changes on both tanks, Nibbler's small tank gets dirtier, and needs the change more regularly.

Question:
Has anyone else noticed a change in behaviour without the filter on? I guess the filters might be less disturbing in the bigger tanks.

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
It's 2018 and people still think it is a good idea to NOT use filters? People who dont, go buy API Master Test Kit and test your waters....

Oh yeah and go get the poor pets some filters.

While there, also go and check the "nitrogen cycle" and how that works, and go read up some more on how tanks cycle.

You will doing your pets a favor.

tinasvfx

Reaction score
Bop has 2 filters in her 40g. One is a 30, the other is a 40. They are both submersible Whisper filters, so they don't produce a lot of heavy current for her. If they do, then she isn't bothered by it.

I actually have Whispers in all of my tanks. My betta and my community. Her smaller tank had a 5g whisper as well.

has anyone tried spray bars?

Leedle3dle

Reaction score
i think a whole male dubia is plenty each feeding
i have heard and read that animals fed less food live longer
i dont starve my animals though-they eat better than me for the most part
theres a difference between bear minimum yet enough and simply not feeding enough
I feel like it's best to feed frequently (every two to three days) if there are multiple axolotls in a tank to reduce aggression towards each other.

Leedle3dle

Reaction score
Bop has 2 filters in her 40g. One is a 30, the other is a 40. They are both submersible Whisper filters, so they don't produce a lot of heavy current for her. If they do, then she isn't bothered by it.

I actually have Whispers in all of my tanks. My betta and my community. Her smaller tank had a 5g whisper as well.

has anyone tried spray bars?
I have an in tank filter with a spray bar in my axolotl tank and it seems to work really well, but I just have to turn the output to as low as it goes to reduce flow.

Acacia

Reaction score
I have a 40g with no axolotls in it yet. It has a 265 gph (or at least that's how much it's rated for without all the media in it) canister filter on it with a spray bar, so I'm also curious to see how spray bars have worked out for others. I'm slightly concerned about a flow- has anyone tried to baffle the output?

Ax A Little

Reaction score
I have a 40g with no axolotls in it yet. It has a 265 gph (or at least that's how much it's rated for without all the media in it) canister filter on it with a spray bar, so I'm also curious to see how spray bars have worked out for others. I'm slightly concerned about a flow- has anyone tried to baffle the output?

Yes. You can return the water through a filter sponge and the current will be reduced to almost zero.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1