Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is that in my Lotl's gills?

FeraliGabriel

Reaction score
I cant seem to identificate what is that under my Axolotl's gills, i put some pics on the post and it looks like some white fluff with a spot in the middle. I dont know if he got hurt of something or if its fungus and what kind of treatment i should do

Thanks for all the help
Kind Regards, Gabriel

Attachments

• sic.jpg
    sic.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 148
  • sic1.jpg
    sic1.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 125
  • sic2.jpg
    sic2.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 123

FeraliGabriel

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, i think so too!
The white thing wasnt always there, i saw it the day i posted this. Today i put him in a quarantine aquarium and started giving him salt baths(Only gave him a 10 minute one so far). I think its a fungus due to the fact that its a white fluff and it was a bit bigger today, i hope the salt baths solve the issue but im still open to suggestions over what this is and how to treat it

Egglebear

Reaction score
Before you fridge (something I'm not a fan of doing because I beleive it stresses them out), buy some cattapa aka almond leaves and keep them submerged in the water they have antiseptic properties and should get rid of this infection fast. I always have a few hanging in my tanks to keep bugs at bay. Don't worry about the water going a slight brown colour this is just tannins from the leaves. They may float for a day or so so you can speed the process up by putting them in boiling water which should break down their waxy coating or just use something that keeps them submerged like a rock or a peg on a line just ubove the water level so you don't lose any goodness from the leaves. Be sure to change the leaves every 2-4 weeks so they don't disintegrate.
Almond leaves ftw!!!

Egglebear

Reaction score
Before you fridge (something I'm not a fan of doing because I beleive it stresses them out), buy some cattapa aka almond leaves and keep them submerged in the water they have antiseptic properties and should get rid of this infection fast. I always have a few hanging in my tanks to keep bugs at bay. Don't worry about the water going a slight brown colour this is just tannins from the leaves. They may float for a day or so so you can speed the process up by putting them in boiling water which should break down their waxy coating or just use something that keeps them submerged like a rock or a peg on a line just ubove the water level so you don't lose any goodness from the leaves. Be sure to change the leaves every 2-4 weeks so they don't disintegrate.
Almond leaves ftw!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1