Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aquarium siphon/vacuum advice

Giuseppe

Reaction score
Looking for advice on siphons/vacuums

I've been using the python water changer for years and I adore it but due to changes in our house I can no longer use it.

Today my mom bought me a fluval aqua pro vac https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fluval-aqua-vac-gravel-cleaner-2915618?cm_mmc=PLA-GG-_-PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY19_SBU05_Fish_SMRT-_-70403332497-_-A&kpid=go_2046116841_70403332497_358235784665_pla-775191865885_m&utm_config=tad0iunwp&utm_campaign=PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY19_SBU05_Fish_SMRT&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKCAjw0vTtBRBREiwA3URt7pwBvtM2Kv_oMrMqnQoTy2UZNhknlWVRHHmbAGTM848aLgF56WIaHhoCTCMQAvD_BwE after seeing how much I was struggling with the crappy gravity siphon and buckets I've been using. It looks like it only suctions up debris and then puts the filtered water back in the tank? So I would still need to do water changes with a bucket of something?
Does anyone have experience with these? I'm inclined to have her return because they're pricey but if they're amazing I'd keep. Also would they work on fine play sand? My tanks are barebottom rn but plan to switch.

The other one I'm looking at is the Zacro
Which just looks more like a regular siphon but the design is way nicer than what I have and the hand pump is a huge as I struggle with the gravity starter ones.

I have chronic illness that makes the physicality of water changes tough so not being able to use the python really sucks and I'm looking for something to make it easier for me to keep up with the maintenance my babies deserve.
Looking for any kind of tips or recommendations ya'll have!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1