Recommendations for filter??

K

karen

I currently have a Fluval-1 filter in my tank for my 2 eastern newts. It's a 10 gallon tank that's filled half-way with water. I think it's a great filter, but I believe the current it produces is too strong for my newts. There's no adjustment valve on the output and I've tried moving the filter to different positions but I think my newts are stressed from it, which has contributed to some odd behavior on their part. Can anyone recommend a good filter for such a small volume of water? I'd prefer it not give off too much heat either, as to not raise the water temperature. Thanks for any input.

Karen, I would recommend a Duetto-50. It has an adjustable water flow and is smaller than your Fluval-1. I've use them and they are very reliable.

I agree with Mark's recommendation - the Duetto-50 has the lowest flow rate and lowest wattage (heat) of any submersible. If you are willing to tolerate the noise of an air pump, you could also consider switching to a bubble-driven filter, which won't produce any heat at all. Two easterns in a 10-gallon tank don't really need much filtration at all.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back