Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Strange lumps, maybe fungus?

erinjane203

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Radish has come up with these white lumps on the back of her gills in the last 24hours. I’ve been looking around but it doesn’t seem to match any photos that I can find. Temp is 19.5C in tank, parameters are amm 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm and nitrate between 10 and 20 ppm. I noticed this evening that the new configuration of how I have my chiller outlet set up had upset the lotls so I’ve stifled it and now she’s come out of hiding... is this a fungus? Or a stress reaction? The lumps don’t seem fluffy or slimy so I’m a little confused.

Your input is appreciated ??

Attachments

• EB9867F2-F0E7-4772-92EA-BCE9CB171B30.jpg
    EB9867F2-F0E7-4772-92EA-BCE9CB171B30.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 133

Hayleyy

Reaction score
It is hard to tell from the photo. Try and poke it (very gently) with a cotton bud and see if it comes off. I would guess fungus since the tank was at 19.5 degrees. Get the chiller down to 18 degrees if you can, 19.5 is just slightly higher than the optimal max.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1