The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
CatClio

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: CatClio is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Questions about my Axolotl

So this is my little girl (?I think she's a she) She was the smallest in the store when I got her, back in September, and I've now had her for about 6 months. She's only a little over 2 inches long and at this point I'm kind of worried. I was feeding her live blackworms until my local store stopped stocking them, and now I'm feeding her thawed frozen bloodworm cubes, about 1/3 to 1/2 a cube a day. I'm worried that I'm not feeding her well enough, but I've tried pellets, far too difficult for her to eat even when cut up. Earthworms or wigglers still seem far too big for her but maybe they aren't? I'm getting really worried and haven't found a lot of advice on the internet or from local sources.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4029.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	590.4 KB
ID:	55143  

CatClio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Questions about my Axolotl

How odd! I believe they usually grow around an inch a month, give or take, so yours should be around 6 inches (I think! I'm new at juvenile stuff). How often are you feeding?
You can feed worms, just cut them up. I feed my 2 inch juvenile a few bits of nightcrawlers, a few mm in length. Enough for her to eat easily.
Was she eating okay on the blackworms? If she was then it may be because it was live and moving. Try some other fish shops or home breeders of blackworms if you need to.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
ellarose

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: ellarose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions about my Axolotl

That is really interesting. If she is eating well for you and not showing any signs of sickness, I wouldn't worry yourself sick. What size tank is she in? A bigger tank usually promotes growth.
Her gills look slightly turned forward in the picture. Are the water parameters good?

ellarose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feed, help and advice needed, juvenile axolotl