The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
RabbitOfAurora

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: RabbitOfAurora is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Nothing Fun About Fungus (Best Treatment?)

Hey all.

I noticed the other day my Lotl miiiiiight have been developing fungus; unfortunately this morning I woke up to a little spool on one of his gills

I've tubbed him in fresh dechlorinated water and added a frozen water bottle because the tap water was somewhat warmer than the tank water.

Do I NEED to do salt/tea baths or can I just leave him to chill in the fresh water and let him do his thing for a few days? The fungus that was on him has already come off (came off in the tank as he was swimming away from me)

Do I need to do anything to the tank because of the fungus?

As for water parameters they've been consistantly at

0.25 Ammonia (which I think is a false reading from the prime I've been dosing, so I've stopped doing that and waiting to see)

0 Nitrites.

20 Nitrates.

Temp always sits between 14C and 20C

I have no idea what caused the fungus.

RabbitOfAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Krispy

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Krispy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nothing Fun About Fungus (Best Treatment?)

Fungus happens. I had two females in a cycled tank that recently layed eggs, they both got fungus due to their immune systems being compromised from laying.

Maybe you don't need a salt bath, maybe not even a tea bath unless you see the fluff return. If you can get a hold of some Indian almond leaves, you can throw a few in the water to gently guard against fungus. You can also use almond leaves in your cycled tank to help prevent fungus in the future. I do this, but it does tint your water a little bit.

Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Nothing Fun About Fungus (Best Treatment?)

If it's mild Indian almond leaves might be enough to help, as Krispy said. I have used them in my tank but have never had them tint the water, though I am probably not using enough to cause tinting (1 leaf in a 30 gallon), or I'm doing something wrong lol. If you use the leaves keep an eye on the pH as it can drop it quite quickly. I use coral to counteract that.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote