Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axotlol Help

nightegale

Reaction score
First time axolotl owner the pet store i happened to buy her from did not take good care of her or help me in any way shape or form. When i got her i treated her for fungal infection. Long story short my tank is having an issue with converting the nitrite into nitrate. All the water parameters are as follows water temp 64 degrees, PH 7.6, Ammonia 0.25ppm, Nitrite 2 ppm, Nitrate 40ppm. I just pulled her from the tank and placed her in a plastic storage bin as i noticed the tip of her tail curve. Any suggestions on how to speed the tank along?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Okay great you have tubbed her, keep her separate and make sure to change the tub water every day.
To speed the tank along live plants and bottled bacteria are easy options. If you know anyone with a healthy cycled tank you could ask to have their old filter media (prefilter sponge works well and is changed regularly so they aren't losing anything).
In general I don't do water changes while cycling but the nitrite is high so see what it does over the next 2 days. If it gets higher do a water change, you want to avoid letting it get over 5ppm. If it stays the same or drops then let it keep going.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1