The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 6 Days Ago   #1
nightegale

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: nightegale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axotlol Help

First time axolotl owner the pet store i happened to buy her from did not take good care of her or help me in any way shape or form. When i got her i treated her for fungal infection. Long story short my tank is having an issue with converting the nitrite into nitrate. All the water parameters are as follows water temp 64 degrees, PH 7.6, Ammonia 0.25ppm, Nitrite 2 ppm, Nitrate 40ppm. I just pulled her from the tank and placed her in a plastic storage bin as i noticed the tip of her tail curve. Any suggestions on how to speed the tank along?

nightegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Axotlol Help

Okay great you have tubbed her, keep her separate and make sure to change the tub water every day.
To speed the tank along live plants and bottled bacteria are easy options. If you know anyone with a healthy cycled tank you could ask to have their old filter media (prefilter sponge works well and is changed regularly so they aren't losing anything).
In general I don't do water changes while cycling but the nitrite is high so see what it does over the next 2 days. If it gets higher do a water change, you want to avoid letting it get over 5ppm. If it stays the same or drops then let it keep going.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote