The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
ellarose

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ellarose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl Tank pH too High

I brought home my new little axolotl, Mortimer, almost a week ago now. I had the tank set up and running for over six weeks before I brought him home. I was doing what I believed to be cycling, but I am a beginner at this. I bought a more accurate liquid test kit for the water and found that my pH was at an alarming 8.2. I tested the tap water as well: 8.2.
My ammonia is at 0.25ppm which I know is not ideal, and my nitrates and nitrites are both at 0. I keep the tank temp between 65-68 F. I do about 20% daily water changes to keep the temperature down and because the filter is unplugged for the time being (it proved to have too strong of a flow).
I have heard both positive and negative things about driftwood, peat moss, and chemical lowering agents. If you have any advice on how to safely and effectively lower the pH, I would love to hear it! The last thing I want to do is stress out my little guy; he is far from full grown.

ellarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Giuseppe

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Giuseppe has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Axolotl Tank pH too High

I don't know that there's been specific research on this, but anecdotes I've heard from keepers seems to indicate axolotl like higher PH but aren't particularly sensitive to PH anyway. My tap is around 8 and my axolotl are quite healthy and comfortable. If your axi seems stressed I would look for other sources like other tank params, water flow, light and temperature before ph. I wouldn't recommend peat moss even if you want to lower PH as it's not environmentally sustainable

Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #3
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl Tank pH too High

I second what Giuseppe said. The only issue right now is you have ammonia in your tank which is more toxic at higher pH. I would recommend using indian almond leaves to lower pH. Make sure to monitor this so it isn't fluctuating too much (especially during a water change).
If your nitrates are 0 then the tank isn't cycled, or has crashed. You want 0 ammonia and nitrite, but nitrates up to around 40ppm. I would tub your axolotl while you sort out the tank, but it can be done with the axolotl in. There is heaps of info on here on cycling if you need more help :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote