Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Are any caudata legal in Hawaii?

greyson24601

Reaction score
About 2 years ago I was asking around here about purchasing a fire salamander; however it was pointed out that there is a Salamander ban active that prohibits the shipping of Salamandridae to US states and islands outside the contiguous mainland states. I'm wondering, does this apply to all caudata? Wasn't able to find the actual ban online, so having that would also be helpful. Thanks in advance, and if I seem ignorant, it's because I am. :0 If you have time to answer this question, it would mean a lot.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
You need a dept of ag permit to import any salamanders to Hawaii. You should be able to apply for a permit for any Ambystomids or salamanders that are not on the Lacey Act banned list. Any salamander line that came into Hawaii with a permit or before the ban should be fine for purchase in the state. A few axolotl breeders still ship axolotls from the mainland to Hawaii.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!