The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Amphibinator7

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Amphibinator7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spotted Salamander Larvae Help

So i'm getting spotted salamander (A. maculatum) eggs soon and i wanted to make sure I've got everything right. I have a 5 1/2 gallon tank set up with gravel and a blubber for them, and a daphnia culture for food. Any other suggestions?

Amphibinator7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #2
Amphibinator7

Nationality:
Rep: Amphibinator7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spotted Salamander Larvae Help

I also wanted to say that I recently purchased black worms for them when they get older. I heard this was a good food source.

Amphibinator7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #3
TheNewtGuy

Nationality:
Rep: TheNewtGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spotted Salamander Larvae Help

My personal opinion, I wouldn't use gravel as a substrate. It holds waste and makes cleanup a bit more tedious. For larvae, I usually go bare bottom with a cluster of java moss for them to hide in. If you keep up with water changes, I wouldn't even use a bubbler or air stone. Too much current can be bad for them. In the wild, spotted salamanders migrate to vernal pools to breed and the larvae hatch in these pools. Vernal pools are still bodies of water that form from rain and melted snow.

Daphnia is great. Baby brine shrimp is good too, but you'll need to keep up with more water changes since they'll die in fresh water.
Black worms are ways great as well.

TheNewtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote