Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl being sick and coming up for air

Hollysmith91

Reaction score
I have a 7 year old Axolotl. In the last few months he has started to come up for a lot more air and is sick every so often. He was first sick in December 2018 when I changed his water. And again in January and February when I cleaned him out. I thought it was due to the water and temperature change. So I got a water testing kit and the water was fine. And then the other day I hadn’t even changed his tank but he was being sick. I feed him frozen blood worm and the very occasional live river shrimp. I try and keep his tank the correct temperature by added frozen bottles especially in the summer. He doesn’t seem stressed but I just don’t understand why he is being sick and coming up for a lot of air. Any ideas?

Emperor

Reaction score
Hey what are the actual readings for the water? Axolotls will come up for air if their gills are damaged and that's often caused by ammonia. I'm no expert in this so I could be wrong!

Hollysmith91

Reaction score
Hey, thank you for your reply. This is were I find out I’ve got the water levels all wrong. So the no3 is 20, the no2 is 0, the PH is 6.5-7.5, the Kh is 240 and the GH is 180.
His gills have been damaged for a long time in his right hand side the gills are shorter and not as fluffy and this happened when he was very small and got poorly and grew big really quick.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1