The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
thezoo

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: thezoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melanoid x Golden Albino?

I know there's a ton of questions like this, but I've looked at other people's answers about genes and the like and just can't retain it. This Ziggy (mom)'s first clutch. She's the golden albino, and dad is the melanoid. Any guesses? The eggs are white at 3 days. I'm so curious. I'm worried I won't be able to sell mutts, though. Is that going to be a problem? (I was planning on doing it here for the record.)

thezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Krispy

Nationality:
Rep: Krispy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melanoid x Golden Albino?

Axolotl genetics are hard to retain in general, I personally still struggle. The best way to guess what morphs your pairing will produce is if you know THEIR parents, and finding out what traits they are heterozygous/homozygous for. As for your "mutts" concern, there is no such thing with axolotls, each individual will have a distinct morph as it grows up.

Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #3
thezoo

Nationality:
Rep: thezoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for the late reply, I was waiting for more replies then forgot! They've developed little faces and I can now say they've got black eyes, and some darker spots on their bodies. The eggs were white, though. As far as I know, the parents are 100% their own lines, if that's what you mean. Looks like they won't be albinos of any sort, with those eyes.

thezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago   #4
Acacia

Nationality:
Rep: Acacia has started on the right path

Three questions, then I can help narrow down the genetics a little bit more.
1. Does your golden albino have shiny patches on her? Especially on the gills or tail?
2. Look closely at the babies' eyes. Are they pure black, or do they have a reflective ring around them?
3. Do all the babies look similar, or do some appear light grey with only black speckles on their backs?

Acacia is offline   Reply With Quote